With his solo project, singer/songwriter GJOVA mixes elements from modern indie pop with alternative rock. The melancholic orchestral vibe stands out in GJOVA’s own and unique sound, which is carried by the collaboration with string ensembles. Influences from pop giants like Coldplay, One Republic, or Imagine Dragons can be heard, as well as an emotional note à la Dashboard Confessional. GJOVA also skillfully dares with more progressive tones inspired by bands like Dead Letter Circus or Thirty Seconds To Mars, which is cemented by the big and warm sound.
Music has been the greatest joy in life for me from a very young age. Inspired by our dad's time as a musician in the 60s and 70s, when my parents lived in West Berlin, my brother and I collaborated on our first music project when I was 10. That was when we wrote our first songs. Due to previous music projects (Destiny / The Destiny Program) over the years, I had the great pleasure to travel the globe to play music. Years later and I am still holding onto this joy.
Coming from a small town called Husum in the far North of Germany all the way to Los Angeles in California, I was given the amazing opportunity to collaborate with world-renowned musicians, producers, and record in iconic studios, being in one room with Grammy nominees to make music together...musicians and studios who left their marks in history and are part of platinum, gold, and Grammy-winning records and we were making music together: the songs that I have written on my dad's old guitar. I was stoked out of my mind and truly felt like a kid again. The world of recording studios was my playground.
Beyond that, throughout this incredible journey, I’ve had the pleasure and privilege to collaborate with people who made the music I listened to while I was growing up — the creative minds who inspired me to make music with my family and friends when I was young. Their music was the soundtrack to my youth. Having this opportunity is the story I fell in love with. It just blew my mind. I am deeply grateful for this experience and the moments we shared.
Due to the successes and releases around the globe of previous music projects, GJOVA toured throughout Europe, the US, Brazil, Hong Kong, and Japan. With his new project, he now counts Los Angeles as a base from which to continue his musical path.
Music to me is the greatest joy I can have. It's love, and I took high risks just for the pure sake of making music. We all have something to give and share, and it's nothing less than the best of us. Now let's go out there and create some greatness and beauty to inspire more of us...
VIDEO: Closing Shades
VIDEO: Hurricane (The Final Beat)
VIDEO: One Lost Moment
ABOUT THE ALBUM: Northern Son
All songs were written and produced exclusively by GJOVA. The songs feature heavyweights such as legendary drummer Kenny Aronoff as well as Christopher Hornbrook, Blas Perez, and Josh Giroux who are all part of Dhani Harrison’s band, son of George Harrison from The Beatles, just to name a few.
The songs “Pure Oxygen“ and “Hurricane” were recorded at none other than the iconic Sound City Studios (Neil Young, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Grateful Dead, Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers, Nirvana, Kyuss, Rage Against The Machine, Tool, Slayer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Johnny Cash, A Perfect Circle, Queens Of The Stone Age, Slipknot, Poison The Well, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica) in Los Angeles.
In 2003 Poison The Well teamed up with Swedish producer duo Pelle Henricsson and Eskil Lövström (Refused, In Flames) to record their third studio album “You Come Before You” at the legendary Sound City Studios (Nirvana - Nevermind) in Los Angeles. Because of that album, 14 years later, Chris Hornbrook (drummer in Poison The Well), Pelle Henricsson, Eskil Lövström, and GJOVA recorded the songs “Pure Oxygen” and “Hurricane” at Sound City.
On top of that, Chris Hornbrook and GJOVA recorded additional percussion parts for the two songs with producer Steve Evetts (The Dillinger Escape Plan, The Cure) at the Omen Room in Orange County, CA, who produced the most recent Poison The Well album “The Tropic Rot” back in 2007.
No other band than Poison The Well inspired GJOVA’s musical creativity and artist journey more in his youth…
The song “Welcome Overboard” is an acoustic version of GJOVA’s previous band Destiny. The original song was mixed and mastered by Danish producer Tue Madsen at Antfarm Studio in 2007. 10 years later the band came back together for another collaboration with Tue Madsen in Denmark to bring
“Welcome Overboard” back to life…
In order to give his songs a unique and refreshing sound, GJOVA collaborated with a host of talented musicians, producers, and artists.
RELEASE DATE: January 28, 2022
AUDIOS: Northern Son
1. Hurricane (The Final Beat)
2. Pure Oxygen
3. White Pavement
4. The Pretty Truth
5. One Lost Moment
6. So Do I
7. Closing Shades
9. Painted In Black
10. Gray Chairs Cold
11. The Passenger
12. Welcome Overboard
13. Northern Son
BEHIND THE ALBUM: Northern Son
SOUND CITY: Documentary
IN THE STUDIO: Welcome Overboard
BEHIND THE SCENES: Part 1
BEHIND THE SCENES: Part 2
BEHIND THE SCENES: Part 3
BEHIND THE SCENES: Part 4
ALBUM: Northern Son
RELEASE DATE: January 28, 2022
For over ten years, GJOVA has successfully pursued a career in the international music industry as a professional musician and songwriter. Due to the successes and releases around the globe of various music projects, GJOVA toured throughout Europe, the US, Brazil, Hong Kong, and Japan. With his new project, he now counts Los Angeles as a base from which to continue his musical path.
All songs were written and produced exclusively by GJOVA. The songs feature heavyweights such as legendary drummer Kenny Aronoff as well as Christopher Hornbrook, Blas Perez, and Josh Giroux who are all part of Dhani Harrison’s band, son of George Harrison from the Beatles, just to name a few.
The songs Pure Oxygen and Hurricane were recorded at none other than the iconic Sound City Studios (Neil Young, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Grateful Dead, Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers, Nirvana, Kyuss, Rage Against The Machine, Tool, Slayer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Johnny Cash, A Perfect Circle, Queens Of The Stone Age, Slipknot, Poison The Well, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica) in Los Angeles.
In order to give his songs a unique and refreshing sound, GJOVA collaborated with a host of talented musicians, producers, and artists:
- Music & Lyrics: Johannes Formella
- Produced: Johannes Formella
- Vocals & Acoustic Guitars: Johannes Formella
- Acoustic & Electric Guitars: Sebastian Formella
- Electric Guitars: Theodor Formella
- Synthesizers: Michael Formella
- Background Vocals: Brigitta Formella, Jana Formella, Mike Kobarg, Nicole Formella, Hauke Klenz, Justin Fluck, Elias Mehri, Sofia Henricsson, Fanny Henricsson
- Gjova - Logo: Don Naylor
- The Window Music - Logo: Renate Schwarz & Peter Faßhauer
- Original Paintings: Marianne Harms-Metzger
- Producer Eric Palmquist from Los Angeles (Thrice, The Mars Volta, Bad Suns, Mutemath)
- Australian producer Forrester Savell (Dead Letter Circus)
- Producer Steve Evetts (The Dillinger Escape Plan, Poison The Well, Snapcase, Turmoil, Earth Crisis, Hatebreed, Saves The Day, Glassjaw, Sick Of It All, Sepultura, The Cure, The Used, Every Time I Die)
- Swedish producer duo Pelle Henricsson and Eskil Lövström (Refused, Poison The Well, In Flames)
- Danish producer Tue Madsen (Heaven Shall Burn, Meshuggah)
- The legend himself drummer Kenny Aronoff (Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Mick Jagger, Ray Charles, Joe Cocker, The Rolling Stones, Santana, Jon Bon Jovi, Elton John, B.B. King, Alice Cooper, Avril Lavigne, Alanis Morissette, The Smashing Pumpkins)
- Drummer Christopher Hornbrook (Poison The Well, Dhani Harrison, Big Black Delta, Senses Fail)
- Drummer Chris Hesse from Grammy nominees Hoobastank
- Los Angeles based engineer David Andersen (Fall Out Boy, Nate Fox, Avi Buffalo, Henry Hirsch, Nico Segal, Earl Slick, Esperanza Spalding)
- The Section Quartet: Eric Gorfain [Violin 1], Daphne Chen [Violin 2], Leah Katz [Viola], Richard Dodd [Cello] – (Foo Fighters, Aerosmith, Kanye West, Christina Aguilera, James Blunt, Dr. Dre, Sean Lennon, A Perfect Circle, Iggy Pop)
- Bass player Blas Perez (Dhani Harrison, Big Black Delta)
- Piano player Josh Giroux (Dhani Harrison, Big Black Delta)
- Viola player Miguel Atwood-Ferguson (Jay Z, Rihanna, Christina Aguilera, Shakira, Wyclef Jean, Pink, Lana Del Rey, Lady Gaga, Stevie Wonder, will.i.am, Dr. Dre, Joss Stone, Ray Charles)
- Violin player Paul Cartwright (Black Eyed Peas, Dr. Dre, Macy Gray, Los Lobos, Rissi Palmer, Everlast, Battlestar Galactica, Mad Men)
- Cello player Peter Jacobson (Dr. Dre, San Diego Symphony, The Walking Dead, Grammy winner with Quetzal in 2013)
- Violin player Chris Woods (Dr. Dre)
- The West Los Angeles Children’s Choir: Shayanne Burnette-Mas, Gemma Ginsburg, Danny Goldenberg, Osric Holt, Theodore King, Alison Kokorowski, Scarlett Royal, Adella Travers, Jolie Tsai, Raeva Vasisht, Michael Yang, Josephine Yario – [Conductor: Barbara Klaskin Silberg]– (P!nk, Black Eyed Peas, Imagine Dragons, Fall Out Boy, Fun, Panic! At The Disco,Thirty Seconds to Mars, Cher)
- Trumpet player Hagai Izraeli (James Gadson, Jackson Browne, Roger Waters [Pink Floyd], Susanna Hoff [Bangles])
- Saxophone player Daniel Hofmann
- French Horn player Mary McGowan
- Trombone player Ann McClanahan
- Drummer Jim Landzenski
- Drummer René Pablotzki
- Piano player Roman Goly
- Bass player Daniel Fischer
- Bass player Mats Johansson
- Composer Hal Stephens from Los Angeles
- Composer Dylan Agajanian (Blizzard Entertainment)
- Engineer Hauke Albrecht (Turbostaat)
- Engineer Dave Jenkins (Metallica, Tool, Tori Amos)
- Engineer Siegmar Pohl
- Engineer Be Hussey
- Engineer Kyle Bailey
- Assisting Engineer Andrew Machum
- Assisting Engineer Mark Antaky
Copyright 2022 / All Rights Reserved